Monday, February 2, 2009

Picture: Edited: Looking East Towards The Bund



I took this picture early in the morning. This window was in the hallway outside of my flat, the plant on the right-hand side belonged to my neighbors. They were a nice family of four, the father used to talk to me a lot about tai chi, his time during the cultural revolution, and other things. Even though he never seemed to be outside, he had a deep tan, and although he smoked almost constantly, I once saw him going for a swim in the river in the springtime. Often the windowsill to the left of the plants would have a bowl of greens or some fish thawing on it. The family took cooking in turn, it seemed, with the grandmother doing the majority of the cooking but also the husband and wife chipping in occasionally. Other than the occasional chat, I really didn't speak to my neighbors, but I always had an image of them in my mind as being nice people, and that's how I will remember them.

No comments:

Post a Comment