Monday, February 2, 2009

Picture: Mountains and Clouds



This picture is of a valley in the Alps de Tires in South Tyrol-Alto Adige, in Italy, in September of 2008. It is dark both because it was cloudy that day and because I was hiking up around sunset and attempting to reach a mountain refuge before the sun went down. This was the only cloudy weekend of that September, so naturally I had decided to go mountain climbing on that weekend. I rented a very sporty VW and tore up the Autostrade for 3 hours before arriving in Bolzano, and then took another 40 minutes to get up into the mountains and find the trailhead, stopping on the way at the supermarket for a bottle of booze and some trail snacks. The hike was good, and I did just manage to get indoors around seven, before it had become totally dark and rainy outside. The shelter had excellent German food, and I had goulasch with potato dumplings for dinner, with a glass of vin Brule', a draft beer, and a piece of sacher torta for dessert.
'This is the proper way to rough it', I thought to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment